TumblMaGog

Check out our gifs of cute hair metal kittens RIGHT HERE!

Thursday, December 13, 2012

I Don't Understand Hardcore

Even though they only had one good song, I think we'd all agree that Crossfade was one of the best Southern post grunge acts of the mid-aughts. These guys had an air tight snare drum sound and one of the best backup singers in the genre: Tony Byroads.

  

So my little cousin Bobby sent me this, knowing I've been a long time Crossfade fan. Is this a joke or are they actually into Crossfade? He also told me this was a STRAIGHT EDGE band. That means NO drugs, NO drinking, and NO smoking!

 

 
Bobby also mentioned there was this new band that "wears Carnivore shirts and sounds like Type O Negative and Life of Agony." LOA and Type O were always a little too goth-y for my tastes but they did have some decent choruses. 


Ok. So this is a good tune. Damn good tune. But halfway through it goes south when they start kicking in that Entombed guitar. (was that their name? the Wolverine band?) And under NO circumstances do I see a need to build the third chorus up to a floor punching riff. This could've gotten some serious AOR airplay if they would've just lightened it up a bit. Again, Bobby tells me these guys are completely straight edge, like not even cigarettes!

Being straight edge has gotta be a major buzz kill. If you notice in this LOA video, they are dealing with some heavy shit but are ovbiously having a good time and Sal can clearly be seen puffing a Marlboro @ 2:00.

 

I guess I just don't understand these dudes recycling Sick of It All riffs to play for other guys. I mean, Trapped Under Ice?? Pretty decent pre-Load Metallica song, but why would you want to name your band after it just to mosh with a bunch of other shirtless dudes? 


 

 I remember one hardcore band from NJ that just had a lot more fun with it. 
Next time you're in Little Ferry you should check them out


                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment